Permanently Eliminate Odors:
Cooking, Pets, Mold, Mildew, Cigarette Smoke
by Eric Silver, CyberValley Inc.
March 9, 2017
New neighbors moved in below me, and their cooking odors would linger for days. Alarmed at cumulative effects, particularly if the smell got into my clothes closets, I began looking for an air cleaner that could solve the problem.

I researched HEPA filters and ionizers but none were adequate. I also figured, if I am forced to buy an air cleaner to control odors, I may as well destroy mold, mildew, bacteria, viruses and any other pathogens at the same time. The only thing that can do all of that is ozone, Mother Nature’s disinfectant.

We breathe oxygen in the form of dioxygen or O2, consisting of two oxygen atoms. Ozone is trioxygen, or O3, its extra atom readily detaching to destroy susceptible organic molecules (or change inorganic ones) through the process of oxidation. Ozone is the world’s most powerful disinfectant; no odor, bacteria, virus or mold can survive more than few minutes in its presence.

After examining countless ozone generators, all essentially the same, I found and purchased the "ForeverOzone" 10,000mg/hr generators. The device is essentially a high-voltage transformer with a corona discharge emitter plate that generates copious amounts of ozone.

What attracted me was most is its bare-bones design: It consists of just the "guts" that every other generator is built around. As I did not want to pay for unnecessary fluff, and wanted to generate lots of ozone with minimal fuss, maintenance or risk of failure, the Forever Ozone unit offered the best solution at a surprisingly low cost. Honestly, it is the best $49 I ever spent -- and I purchased a second one after observing the results of the first.

Image: Generator powered off. Note: There are Two generators shown.

Image: Generator powered on. Note: There are Two generators shown.
Easy Assembly
Assemble the generator by plugging the ceramic emitter plate into the transformer. Use care, as the plate is fragile and can crack or break. Once the emitter plate is plugged in I recommend leaving it in place, rather than continually removing and replacing it between uses, to minimize the risk of breakage. Just be careful with moving and storing it. If you break a plate, reasonably-priced replacements are available at the Forever Ozone web site.

Video: Emitter plate being removed and reinserted.
Operation
Plug the transformer into the wall outlet and place a powerful fan behind it to distribute the ozone and, most important, cool the emitter plates (to assure they last long). You will smell ozone immediately, the scent varying with humidity levels: In very dry air it with have a soft, powdery scent; in humid air it will have a sharp, pungent, chlorine-like scent.

Video: Generator being powered on. Note: There are Two generators shown.

Video: Generator and Fan being powered on. Note: There are Two generators shown.
Operation
Plug the transformer into the wall outlet and place a powerful fan behind it to distribute the ozone and, most important, cool the emitter plates (to assure they last long). You will smell ozone immediately, the scent varying with humidity levels: In very dry air it with have a soft, powdery scent; in humid air it will have a sharp, pungent, chlorine-like scent.

Because this generator produces ozone via corona discharge, high humidity will cause it to work less efficiently and reduce its output. Its rated output of 10,000mg/hr is based on 10% humidity levels and, unless you live in the desert, your humidity levels are higher and actual output will be less. Nonetheless, it is almost certainly more than you will need and exceeds the output of competing generators, which generally top out at 5,000mg/hr (and are equally impacted by humidity).
Performance
You will generally want to "Shock Treat" a room by running the generator for about an hour or so, depending on room size and volume (experience will dictate). Open closet and cabinet doors in the room being treated, if desired, then close the room door, using a towel to block the space at the bottom. When the ozone smell becomes strong outside of the room, that is your indicator the "shock" effect is underway. Repeat room by room until you are satisfied with the results.

After treatment, the ozone smell may linger for several hours or longer, especially in closets that are closed immediately after treatment. Once it dissipates, the only smell will be the native scent of the objects or spaces being sniffed.

If you have central air conditioning, it is beneficial to place the unit (and fan) directly in front of the air intake vent, turn on the HVAC blower motor, and sanitize the ductwork. After my initial shock treatments I switched to this method almost exclusively, doing it whenever I am out of the house for more than an hour or two. The results have been remarkable:

Odors: Gone.
  • Cabinets smell (only) like wood
  • Closets smell like fresh linen
  • Air is fresh and more breathable
Mold and Mildew: Eradicated.
  • Mold has not formed on shower tiles or grout in the three months since I began using the generator.
  • A wet mop left sitting in a corner of a bathroom for several days did not develop the usual mildew smell.
  • A loaf of bread left on a countertop for over three weeks has no trace of mold, nor any fermentation smell.
Allergies: Diminished.
  • My mold-related allergies have disappeared.
  • Mold in the HVAC vents has been killed and I no longer wake up at 3:00 a.m. with a splitting headache from spores being released.
Irritation, Toxicity and Overexposure
Ozone is an irritant but is not toxic. That is The worst I have experienced from severe overexposure (i.e., sitting in the room for too long while the generators are on) is a bronchial cough that goes away after a few hours.

There are concerns about the formation of nitrogen oxides in ozone generators, however, that occurs at high temperatures that these units do not reach.

Contrary to many warnings, you do not need to leave home while the generator is on. If the ozone seepage from the room being treated becomes uncomfortable, open a window or door to allow fresh air in. Indeed, I recommend doing that beforehand (in the room you are in; not the room being treated).

**If, however, you have respiratory infections, asthma, severe allergies, sinus problems or other respiratory ailments, then I do recommend leaving home while the generator is on, as you will be more sensitive to ozone’s irritating effects. ***
Animal Exposure
Pets should be removed from the premises when the generator is operating.
Plant and Aquarium Exposure
I have observed no effects on plants (Boston Ferns and Jasmine) in shock-treated rooms. I have observed no effects on my aquarium or its inhabitants.
Rubber Objects
Latex rubber is decomposed by ozone and becomes dry and brittle. Every small rubber band not sealed in a plastic bag snapped when I stretched it. I would suggest sealing rubber objects in airtight containers or removing them from treatment areas. Silicone rubber appears unaffected.
Care & Maintenance
Keep the emitter plates clean. After a few ours of use, moisten a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and Very Gently wipe down the plate(s).

Video: Emitter plates being cleaned with alcohol-moistened cotton ball.
Purchase
DISCLAIMER: CyberValley does not accept any form of compensation for product reviews or recommendations.
Product: ForeverOzone 10,000 mg/h Solid State Ozone Generator
Price: $49.00 w/Free Shipping
Basis of This Review: Personal Experience After Purchase
Recommendation: Buy
       
Moderated Discussion


1995 2017